[Openswan Users] Version 2.6.38 process allocation

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 11:56:03 EDT 2012

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, dgoffe at cox.net wrote:

> I have upgraded my terminal from 2.6.24 to 2.6.38 and in testing this release disabled the
> broadband part of the network so that a VPN could not be established. In our terminal we
> have multiple applications that register GRE-NHRP and also monitor Openswan among others.
> Once the VPN became disabled these other application never ran again. It seems that Pluto
> takes over control of the CPU and never sleeps or gives up any processing power. I don't think
> I saw this behavior in 2.6.24. Is it possible to change this behavior with a IPSEC command to say
> run in the background or sleep after so many attempts? I use both IPSEC and WHACK  system commands
> to control multiple tunnels over different interfaces. I have included a log that shows how it functions when
> it is allowed to connect and the last part is when the network cloud is broken.

That is a bug I noticed as well. It is only supposed to try 3 times, and
then go to the background and release whack.

You can change the behaviour with the environment variables

PLUTO_EVENT_RETRANSMIT_DELAY=3
PLUTO_MAXIMUM_RETRANSMISSIONS_INITIAL=3

But they might suffer from the same bug. It might help us locate the
issue if you could "git bisect" this.