[Openswan Users] kernel upgrade problem

Nick Howitt n1ck.h0w1tt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 04:48:21 EDT 2012

Hi,

I've been running openswan 2.6.38 since it was released in ClearOS 5.2
using kernel 2.6.18-194.8.1.v5 with no problem. There was a recent
kernel update to ClearOS to 2.6.18-308.1.1.v5 so I rebooted my server
today to apply the update. I then lost all communication with my remote
router (Draytek 2900). Just to be sure I recompiled Openswan and
reinstalled it but got nowhere. I can see the IPSec SA being established
in /var/log/secure but no traffic goes through the tunnel. I added a
firewall rule " iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d
192.168.10.0/24 -j RETURN" and suddenly everything returned to normal.
I've been using this set up for a few years now without any such
firewall rule in place. Have you any idea what has changed and where I
can look?

Thanks,

Nick