[Openswan Users] unexpected STRING [xauth] trying to set up connection to SonicWall

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Thu Jan 15 16:43:28 EST 2009

Hello:

I am trying to follow the instructions on this page:
http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/Openswan/SonicWall
to connect a CentOS 5 machine to the SonicWall at work.

I did: yum install openswan (I have the RPMForge repo
enabled) and everything seemed to install correctly.

I set up /etc/ipsec.d/sonicwall.conf with this content:
conn sonicwall
     left=1.2.3.4 (My Linux Machine's eth0 IP)
     leftsubnet=1.2.3.4/255.255.255.240
     leftid=@home
     leftxauthclient=yes
     right=5.6.7.8 (The SonicWall's external IP)
     rightsubnet=192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
     rightxauthserver=yes
     rightid=@1234567 (Filled in the Unique Firewall Identifier.
				Do I need the '@' sign on this line?)
     keyingtries=0
     pfs=yes
     aggrmode=yes
     auto=add
     auth=esp
     esp=3des-md5-96
     ike=3des-md5-96
     authby=secret
     xauth=yes

I set up /etc/ipsec.d/sonicwall.secrets:
@home @1234567 : PSK "sharedSecet"

When I do: service ipsec start, I get this error:

can not load config '/etc/ipsec.conf': /etc/ipsec.d/sonicwall.conf:18:
syntax error, unexpected STRING [xauth]
Failed to parse config setup portion of ipsec.conf

Any ideas?

Thanks,
	Neil

Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.