[Openswan Users] unexpected STRING [xauth] trying to set up connection to SonicWall

James Muir muir.james.a at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 09:42:30 EST 2009

Neil Aggarwal wrote:

> When I do: service ipsec start, I get this error:
>
> can not load config '/etc/ipsec.conf': /etc/ipsec.d/sonicwall.conf:18:
> syntax error, unexpected STRING [xauth]
> Failed to parse config setup portion of ipsec.conf
>
> Any ideas?

openswan does not like the line "xauth=yes" in sonicwall.conf (i.e. it
does not recognize "xauth=yes" as a valid config option).

Which version of openswan are you using?  Some of the configuration
options have changed.

I have openswan 2.6.19 configured to connect to a Sonicwall.  I posted
details on this a few weeks ago:

http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2008-December/015923.html

Try the config files posted there.

-James