[Openswan Users] No packets forwarded in a stablished connection

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Mon Jun 2 09:58:32 EDT 2008

Carles,

I can think of several causes.
1) You do not have forwarding enabled in your kernel.
	cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward Should show 1
	Else add the following to your startup scripts:
2) Your blocking traffic with your firewall.
	Check that you allow the tunneled IPSec traffic.
	iptables -t filter -L -n -v
	iptables -t nat -L -n -v
	iptables -t mangle -L -n -v
	iptables -t raw -L -n -v
3) You didn't include your lan subnet's in the conn.
	cat /etc/ipsec.conf (You may hide your key info.)

If you don't see the problem with what I've suggested,
the quickest/easiest way to solve would be to send an
ipsec barf > ipsec_barf.txt attached in reply.
If you send a barf don't bother with the other info,
it's all included in the barf. Barfs include a lot of
significant ipsec and networking information to debug.
FYI, barfs do include your ip addresses, but do not
include your keys, so you may wish to send only to
those requesting rather than the whole list.
The list members may also appreciate not receiving
the large files...

Peter McGill
IT Systems Analyst
Gra Ham Energy Limited