[Openswan Users] Disconnect issue for http requests

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Thu Nov 1 05:53:22 EDT 2007

Richard Cox wrote:

> ... access my home system with my windows mobile 6 phone, using IPSEC/l2tp.
>  1)  I lose the connection frequently (this may be my mobile phone data
> connection)

Does this also occur if you connect with a Wifi connection (if your device
happens to have Wifi)? Or if you use the device as a modem for a Windows
desktop client (again, if your phone supports it)? And are for example SSH
connections disconnected when you use them without the VPN?

> 2)  every time I try to access the httpd server on my host system, the
> connection immedidately terminates.

This sounds a lot like an issue caused by Connection Manager. Microsoft tried
to reinvent Internet routing in Windows Mobile. Are you accessing the
webserver by hostname (FQDN) or IP address? You may need to add it to the
'Exceptions' list. See also this article:
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/sep04/VPNConnection.aspx

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl