[Openswan Users] building

ted leslie tleslie at tcn.net
Fri Mar 24 05:10:44 CET 2006

i was using rc5
and when i merged it so there wasnt the lib/module/2.4.16-smp and 2.4.16
so the openswan ipsec.ko was put in,
and not the ipsec.ko made from the kernel,
it odd, the kernel when patched, makes a ipsec.ko and the openswan distro (make ... module)
does to, but only the one in the openswan distro accesses the for example des_ede3_cbc_encrypt
which seems to be only in a assembly language *.s file in teh openswan distro, and not
available to the kernel (or patched kernel). or maybe i just screwed something else up in the
install, but anyways it is working now.
had to turn off SMP, with it on, the ipsec does a IEP (or EIP) and sometime locks the machine cold.

thanks to everyone on the list in the last 24 hours,
i final achieved a Klips/openswan on 2.6 kernel and hopefully now it will replace my older box,
and i can do SNAT pre ipsec.

now that i have done all this ... did someone just post that you can do this also by using
2.6.16 and latest iptables ? you dont need Klips anymore for doing SNAT before vpn ?

-tl