[Openswan Users] Multiple processors (or hyperthreaded processors)

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Thu Sep 15 00:08:02 CEST 2005

> Excuse my ignorance, but I've never dealt with Linux on multiple
> processors (or hyperthreaded processor) platforms before.
>
> I know they utilise the kernel-smp package, do other packages need to
> be rebuilt to allow for smp? Will a standard RPM for openswan work (I
> will be using RHEL 4 ES) or an RPM that I build on a non-hyperthreaded
> processor (they will all be x86).
> Or will I have to build my own RPMs on the smp machine?

My experience with the Fedora Core 4 SMP kernel running on Athlon 64 X2
(dual core) is that the kernel will schedule individual processes to
different processors as needed.  If you are running a single process app
with a single thread, it will run fine on one processor, leaving the
other(s) to do whatever else needs to be done.

Unless you are doing true parallel processing (like message passing), I
don't think you need a special build of your applications.

--
John S. Riley, Ph.D.
DSB Scientific Consulting