[Openswan Users] Multiple processors (or hyperthreaded processors)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Sep 15 06:11:22 CEST 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Mark van Proctor wrote:

> I know they utilise the kernel-smp package, do other packages need to be
> rebuilt to allow for smp? Will a standard RPM for openswan work (I will be
> using RHEL 4 ES) or an RPM that I build on a non-hyperthreaded processor
> (they will all be x86).
> Or will I have to build my own RPMs on the smp machine?

The openswan programs (aka the userland) can be used on any kernel. Only if
you decide to use the KLIPS IPsec stack instead of the NETKEY IPsec stack,
will you need to do anything. In that case, you will need to compile a KLIPS
kernel module for the installed smp kernel. Or worse, if you need NAT-Traversal,
you would need to patch the stock RHEL4 kernel, something that you might be
very reluctant to do.

I would not use KLIPS on RHEL4, unless you find that the NETKEY stack that
comes with it does not work well enough for you.

execsum: you shouldn't need to change anything.