[Openswan Users] Windows vpn clients

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Sep 8 12:25:34 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 00:25 +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > I think that's about the finest recommendation I can ask for.  However,
> > I enthusiastically booted into Windows, thought I would take a look even
> > though we are close to deployment, went to the site and found no
> > documentation.  I downloaded the installer and ran it but it did little
> > more than overwrite my Cygwin with an older version.
>
> You only need lsipsectool_installer.exe. It will install the client, create
> a desktop icon and menu entry, where you can start the client and import
> the certificate and configure the connection. There should also be a tray
> icon.
>
> > I downloaded the source but didn't see documentation there either (I
> > didn't peruse the code).  Perhaps I'm in just too much of a rush trying
> > to squeeze this in at the last minute but, am I missing something? How
> > does one install, configure and run this product? I'm quite eager to
> > give it a go even if it means working through the night to add it to our
> > project before it's to late.  Thanks - John
<snip>
OK - I'm starting to feel really stupid here.  I run
lsipsectool_installer.exe and it launches a cygwin installation.  I
first tried installing from local source (I already had cygwin
installed).  It finished installing.  I did not check create icons
because I already had cygwin icons.  It then said "nothing to install"
and exited.  No lsipsectool icons.  I thought maybe it wanted to install
Cygwin itself to be happy so I let it download from the Internet (it
backleveled me) and had the same results.

After Paul's e-mail, I thought maybe the problem was that I needed to
let it create icons so I tried again and clicked those boxes.  The same
results.

Then I thought my previous installation of the ebootis tool was
interfering.  So, I ripped out my cert and key, removed my ipsec
connection definitions, deleted the snapins, renamed my ipsec directory
and removed the Microsoft Support Tools.  I deleted all my cygwin
directories to create as clean a slate as possible.  I ran the
installation routine.  It installed cygwin and exited.  No lsipsectool.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I even downloaded the installer from
sf.net/projects/lsipsectool again in case something was damaged in my
download (not that I'd suspect a damaged archive to install!).  What in
the world am I missing? I'd really like to get this installed in the
next few hours so I can present it as an alternative before the window
for this project closes.  Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com