[Openswan Users] Dynamic IP and Gateway with site-2-site?

hallian hallian hallian at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 8 09:22:59 CEST 2005

Hello all -

I'm doing something which is not recommended but wanted to test whether its
possible.  I have two remote sites both with ADSL connections with DYNAMIC
IP's and gateway which is always 0.0.0.0.

The good thing is that I have a DNS agent sitting on the WAN interface and
they eliminates the misery on what will be the next IP for my wan interface.
  The delimma which I have is.... the nexthop value.

If I do a netstat -rn on both the sites, i get this:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U         0 0          0
adsl

Then I thought, I can conduct a traceroute from the box and then I can
determine my nexthop.  Which will eventaully be my rightnexthop and
leftnexthop for each remote office.  But that was not the case.  Infact when
I tried to manually put this route command:  Notice my nexthop from the
traceroute was: 195.219.224.24 and remote site subnet was 192.168.10.0

route add -net 192.168.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev adsl gw 195.219.224.24

Well, it successfully took the route but the route dies after 5 secs.  So,
what I trying to resolve is that given in my scenario is there:

1) Is it possible to determine what should be the value of my nexthop esp.
when each time I get 0.0.0.0?

2) Does anyone know what should be the syntax in such a scenario?

2) Is it even possible with having two ADSL connection where the default
gateway is : 0.0.0.0

Anyone... plez let me know...
Thanks
Hallian