[Openswan Users] Windows vpn clients

Trevor Hennion trevor at thennion.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 21:57:28 CEST 2005

  > <snip>
> OK - I'm starting to feel really stupid here.  I run
> lsipsectool_installer.exe and it launches a cygwin installation.  I
> first tried installing from local source (I already had cygwin
> installed).  It finished installing.  I did not check create icons
> because I already had cygwin icons.  It then said "nothing to install"
> and exited.  No lsipsectool icons.  I thought maybe it wanted to install
> Cygwin itself to be happy so I let it download from the Internet (it
> backleveled me) and had the same results.
>
> After Paul's e-mail, I thought maybe the problem was that I needed to
> let it create icons so I tried again and clicked those boxes.  The same
> results.
>
> Then I thought my previous installation of the ebootis tool was
> interfering.  So, I ripped out my cert and key, removed my ipsec
> connection definitions, deleted the snapins, renamed my ipsec directory
> and removed the Microsoft Support Tools.  I deleted all my cygwin
> directories to create as clean a slate as possible.  I ran the
> installation routine.  It installed cygwin and exited.  No lsipsectool.
>
> I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I even downloaded the installer from
> sf.net/projects/lsipsectool again in case something was damaged in my
> download (not that I'd suspect a damaged archive to install!).  What in
> the world am I missing? I'd really like to get this installed in the
> next few hours so I can present it as an alternative before the window
> for this project closes.  Thanks - John

I have just tried this with a Windows XP SP2 system and it installed
fine. I need to create a certificate to check the connection, but the
install went well. No attempt to install Cygwin - not already on that
PC, just the desktop icon as expected.
Until now I have been providing my customers users with a
python/wxPython executable that gives a simple GUI and clickable icon to
start the VPN on a Win2k/XP system using the vpn.ebootis.de files. It
does seem to suffer from the left over gateway connections that Paul
refers to, but the users still seem to be able to reconnect. I clean
them up infrequently. The gateway is still running Openswan 1.09.

HTH

Trevor Hennion
http://www.infocentrality.co.uk