[Openswan Users] Mode config on OpenSWAN 2.3.0

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat May 21 12:40:38 CEST 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Sean Knox wrote:

> I'm trying to use mode config to assign IP with multiple connections. The
> first connection grabs an IP successfully, however all subsequent connections
> don't get the IP--instead they use whatever local LAN address. Is this a
> known limitation with OpenSWAN? I've used other clients (Softremote, VPN
> Tracker) and these use the same virtual IP for all connections.

the linux kernel automatically grabs the 'nearest ip' to your gateway,
which is your publicly assigned IP. You can change this in a custom _updown
script using advanced routing:

ip route change default via your_vpn_ip.
Check the _updown script for the exact variable names. I am not sure if
the modeconfig IP is handed down as environment varaible.