[Openswan Users] Openswan on OpenWRT

Ferdinand O. Tempel pw at linuxops.net
Wed Nov 10 22:25:34 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 23:29 +0100, Dennis Persson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get Openswan up an running on a OpenWRT installation.
> I build the OpenWRT myself according to various step by step guides,
> and included tr and id in the busybox configuration.
> I’ve then installed every thing needed, by following this guide ->
> http://wiki.linuxops.net/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=6&page=1

This guide is somewhat outdated by now. A lot still applies, but details
start to be different from reality. Basically the article tries to guide
thereader through a source install from scratch, while for novice users
it would be better to simply grab the binary packages from
http://www.linuxops.net/ipkg/. These packages have bugs, but generally
work (for me an others). Unless they have been fixed, the packages from
openswan.org will *not* work, since they seem to be linked against
libc6. If this is the error you're getting, your build is linked against
the wrong libraries.

In short:
- Install OpenWRT
- Configure the right ipkg source, ipkg update
- ipkg install mawk gmp openswan-module openswan
- rm /usr/bin/awk && ln -s /usr/bin/mawk /usr/bin/awk (bug in the
package)
- Configure openswan
- Create /var/lock, /var/lock/subsys and /var/run
- Start openswan
- Have fun

As you can see, this is not release quality stuff yet. Some issues exist
in the packages as offered, but they're functional for most use.

> I think I have read through this list to find any answers but I didn’t
> find any, or maybe I have overlooked something. J

Who knows, without more details on what you did exactly and
configuration examples, it's kinda hard to tell whether or not you did
overlook something. The right guess would be "yes", else it'd be working
by now.

> The only thing I could find is that it looks like the same error as in
> this mail ->
> http://lists.openswan.org/pipermail/users/2004-May/000943.html

There are three errors listed in that post. Problems with various
directories in /var (create those!), problems with linking against
libc6, and a warning about compiling against the proper gmp version.
Which one is it? Or all of the above?

Details, man! :-)

--
Regards,

Ferdinand O. Tempel

Your friendly neighborhood linuxops.net administrator.