[Openswan Users] Open Source Developer Contest - Assistance Request ( Openswan 2.x )

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Aug 16 18:28:45 CEST 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Jacco de Leeuw wrote:

> > IBM is very interested in seeing an optimized port of Openswan 2.x to
> > LinuxPPC64 being available. We're considering running a promotion to
> > reward both the development of new applications and ports of existing
> > projects like Openswan 2.x to LinuxPPC64.
>
> Doesn't Openswan already run on PowerPC? I had MandrakeLinux PPC with
> FreeS/WAN running on an old iMac. Or is PPC64 a completely different
> beast?

Xelerance has no PPC64 machine available in our testlab. So we have no
idea at this point. Donations of servers are always welcome; Support
contracts for continuous nightly regression testing of specific
hardware are available upon request.

> Or is 'optimized' the keyword here? I.e. is IBM looking for hand-crafted
> PPC assembler routines? In that case they should sponsor the Linux kernel
> CryptoAPI because it is used by Openswan, if I'm correct.

Not neccessarily. CryptoAPI is an option, but Openswan also has its own
native implementation of 3DES and AES.