[Openswan Users] Sudden ARP issue?

Toby Chamberlain tjchamberlain at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 25 05:29:37 EDT 2016

Hi,

I've been using OpenSWAN for a long time and have 2 L2TP/IPSec setups
that have been working reliably for about 4-5 years now. Two nights ago
they suddenly stopped working and I've been unable to get them up again.
In the logs I see  the normal "STATE_QUICK_R2: IPsec SA established
tunnel mode" followed by multiple:
ERROR: asynchronous network error report on eth0 (sport=4500) for
message to client.remote.com port 4500, complainant openswan.local.com:
No route to host [errno 113, origin ICMP type 3 code 1 (not authenticated).

I have tried everything I can think of, and both ends have been rebooted
multiple times as have both openswan and xl2tpd instances. A tcpdump on
the server shows a cycle of nat-keep-alive from the client followed by
multiple unanswered ARP requests:
18:53:35.154310 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 115, id 17780, offset 0, flags [none],
proto UDP (17), length 176)
  client.remote.com.ipsec-nat-t > openswan.local.com.ipsec-nat-t: [udp
sum ok] isakmp-nat-keep-alive
18:53:35.160552 ARP, Ethernet (len 6), IPv4 (len 4), Request who-has
client.remote.com tell openswan.local.com, length 28
18:53:36.160544 ARP, Ethernet (len 6), IPv4 (len 4), Request who-has
client.remote.com tell openswan.local.com, length 28
etc. etc.

I suspect the problem might be that the ARP requests are getting lost
and so openswan doesn't know where to send the replies. Does any one
know how to fix this or have any other ideas of what to try?

Further info: I'm using a fully updated Debian Jessie ("Linux Openswan
U2.6.37/K3.16.0-4-686-pae (netkey)"). It stopped working at about 0:30
in the morning, there was no server reboot or upgrade performed, nor was
the ipsec.conf changed or openswan restarted. One of the remote clients
was upgraded to Windows 10 about 6-8 hours earlier, but had been
connecting reliably during that time after the upgrade. About 15 minutes
before it stopped working one of our ISPs suffered an outage and its
router was automatically rebooted to try to clear it. Only one of the
affected clients uses this router/ISP. Other non-L2TP connections are
working fine.

Toby