[Openswan Users] IPSec Tunnels - Reg

Patrick Naubert patrickn at xelerance.com
Mon Aug 29 13:06:55 EDT 2016

Rescued from the spam bucket.  Please remember to subscribe to the mailing list before posting to it.

From: Yokesh J <yokesh.j at ericsson.com <mailto:yokesh.j at ericsson.com>>
Subject: IPSec Tunnels - Reg
Date: August 29, 2016 at 9:46:08 AM EDT
To: "users at lists.openswan.org <mailto:users at lists.openswan.org>" <users at lists.openswan.org <mailto:users at lists.openswan.org>>

Hi ,

I have some clarifications on creating tunnels between VM’s. After establishing IPsec between two VM’s , the status is as follows

Machine A:
IPsec running  - pluto pid: 2293
pluto pid 2293
2 tunnels up
some eroutes exist

Machine B:
IPsec running  - pluto pid: 2282
pluto pid 2282
2 tunnels up
some eroutes exist

When I add a new connection between machine A and machine C the status is

Machine A:
IPsec running  - pluto pid: 2293
pluto pid 2293
4 tunnels up
some eroutes exist

Machine B:
IPsec running  - pluto pid: 2282
pluto pid 2282
2 tunnels up
some eroutes exist

Machine C:
IPsec running  - pluto pid: 2275
pluto pid 2275
2 tunnels up
some eroutes exist

I need to know the significance of the command “ipsec setup status” and also how the tunnels are getting created.
Also  I observe some inconsistencies in the tunnels number as sometimes I get “3 tunnels up” instead of 4 in machine A.

Regards,
Yokesh.