[Openswan Users] Asymmetric left/right conns allowed?

Patrick Naubert patrickn at xelerance.com
Mon Aug 17 12:53:26 EDT 2015

Rescued from the Spam bucket.  Please remember to subscribe to the mailing list before posting to it.

From: Jeremy Campbell <jeremycampbell87 at gmail.com>
Subject: Asymmetric left/right conns allowed?
Date: August 17, 2015 at 12:22:34 PM EDT
To: users at lists.openswan.org

We are trying to automate the creation of conn parameters to connect a few hundred servers in a full mesh network. Doing this using puppet, its very easy to create the conns so that left = right and visa versa on the other end but if left must = left then the logic is going to be a lot more complex.

The ipsec.conf man page says:

 Which participant is considered left or right is arbitrary; IPsec figures out which one it is being run on based on internal information. This permits using identical connection specifications on both ends.

Does that imply that we can use left=right and right=left on the other side? Can anyone confirm? Any assistance would be much appreciated :)

Jeremy