[Openswan Users] General Guidance - Connecting to Sonicwall Global VPn

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 11:30:31 EDT 2014

I don't use Ubuntu, I use Fedora. This will change the GUI interface
available for OpenSWAN.  Which doesn't work properly in Fedora anyway so
I have to do everything via command line.

The sonicwall windows client uses IPSec Tunnel with xauth
authentication.   The client config file that you export from the
Sonicwall appliance includes the PSK and other parameters.     You can
use openswan to configure an equivalent type of connection, but you do
need to know  the PSK, encryption settings, and group name.   Unlike the
windows client, a virtual NIC is not used, so you may also have to tweek
some routing/forwarding options  on the linux machines.

The alternate approach used by the sonicwall is an
L2TP-tunnel-over-IPSec-transport, if enabled on the sonicwall. The GUI
may work better with this-  but I think it is also using openswan or
libreswan in the background.  This will provide a virtual NIC on the
client.     This is same approach used by the IPSec VPN client support
native in MS  windows.

A few tech savvy people at my work use Openswan for the VPN
client.        But it turns out to be such a PITA that we found for some
people it was simpler to purchase a Sonicwall TZ105 for some remote
users, and just configure a site-to-site link.