[Openswan Users] Multiple users behind Same IP

Dominic Wiersma d.wiersma at dwits.nl
Sat Aug 23 15:10:36 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I have set-up an IPsec with xl2tpd and all is running fine.

The only problem is when multiple users want to connect from the same public
IP address to the IPsec server they cannot connect to it, and if they can,
another user is disconnected instead.

Which parameters control whether users can or cannot connect to an IPSec VPN
server from the same public IP?

I have searched hours but I cannot seem to find the right buttons to turn.

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with kernel 3.13.0-34-generic

Linux Openswan U2.6.38/K3.13.0-34-generic (netkey)

Version xl2tpd: xl2tpd-1.3.6

Now this is my ipsec.conf

dumpdir=/var/run/pluto/

nat_traversal=yes

virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8

protostack=netkey

force_keepalive=yes

keep_alive=60

conn L2TP-PSK-noNAT

authby=secret

pfs=no

auto=add

keyingtries=3

ikelifetime=8h

keylife=1h

ike=aes256-sha1,aes128-sha1,3des-sha1

phase2alg=aes256-sha1,aes128-sha1,3des-sha1

type=transport

left=x.x.x.x

leftprotoport=17/1701

right=%any