[Openswan Users] lost connection on left subnet when right subnet is 0.0.0.0

Ming-Hong Wu minhong.wu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 01:33:39 EST 2013

Hi all,

    I had googled for this and got the answer, when right subnet is set to
0.0.0.0
    hosts in the left subnet can't be pinged correctly, because they're
tunneled.

    To solve this, we can add a connection like this:

conn passthrough
        left=192.168.1.1
        leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
        right=0.0.0.0
        rightsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
        auto=route
        authby=never
        type=passthrough

    However, here comes my question,

    assume that my pluto is already running for some connections, is it
possible to add passthrough by

             /usr/local/sbin/auto --up passthrough

    Since authby is set to never, openswan complains that this conn can't
be initiated.

    What I know to make this work is restart pluto. Is there anyway to make
it work without restarting pluto ?
    Or, is it safe to make passthrough always applied no matter what
rightsubnet is ( 0.0.0.0 or something like 192.168.3.0/24) ?

--
Sincerely,
minhong