[Openswan Users] CentOS5 + Draytek 2820 pings only one way

Nick Howitt n1ck.h0w1tt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:45:40 EST 2013

In my firewall, supplied by ClearOS I have an extra rule in the nat
table which translates to:

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 13046 packets, 2505K bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out source
destination
     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  *      * 0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           policy match dir out pol ipsec

You should not need to do anything with protocol 51 as it is not used
with esp.

I am not sure iptables is the issue. In the 2820 LAN-LAN profile is
"From first subnet to remote network, you have to do" set to Route or
NAT. It should be set to Route.

Answering other points, your leftsourceip looks OK. Because it is
specified you do not need to set a source IP when pinging. It will
happen anyway. Pings from CentOS will appear from leftsourceip rather
than L.C.98.24.

BTW, in your config you have a lot of redundant stuff. I would get rid of:
%myid
leftid
rightid
rightsourceip
nat_traversal
compress
connaddrfamily
ike
phase2alg
phase2
keyexchange
keyingtries

ike and phase2alg will be negotiated to whatever you have set in the
2820 (and I'd suggest, unless your CentOS Processor is anaemic, you use
aes256,sha1,group14 and you also enable pfs in the advanced settings).
The other settings are default or unnecessary. Unless you have changed
the defaults in the 2820 you also have a mismatch of keylife and
ikelifetime - they need to be reversed.

Regards,

Nick