[Openswan Users] pluto won't talk over port 500 on very old system

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Fri Aug 23 07:05:55 UTC 2013

On Friday, August 23, 2013 01:02:09 AM Leto wrote:
> can you show is the logs? I'm also not sure what 3.1-rc2 refers to? kernel
> version?

Sorry, I left something out. I'm preparing the next version of the Smoothwall
Express open source firewall, presently at version 3.1-rc2. This is what I
installed on the old PIII Gateway system.

The kernel version is 3.4 (3.4.53 in SWE3.1-rc2).

I can certainly supply log files, though they are wholly uninteresting right
now. They show what I expect to see during startup. And they show no progress
beyond STATE_MAIN_R2. tcpdump shows no port 500 traffic out of the old PIII
and shows traffic into it. I'll put these dull logs in another msg
(/var/log/secure, /var/log/messages, lsmod, and even 'ipsec barf' if desired.

I'd really prefer to provide logs and traces that show a lot more of what's
happening. I can even provide side-by-side logs from a system that (normally)
works and from the one that doesn't. I can even provide openswan build logs.
But how do I make openswan (pluto) be more verbose?

And what's the preferred way to make large logs available? Attachments to the
email? Off-list storage?

> did you try libreswan?

I looked at it a while ago (first release maybe), when it required several new
packages (like NSS). It was different enough and new enough that I didn't want
to change*. I haven't dismissed libreswan; if it reaches a state where it is
easily built and doesn't differ too much from openswan, I'll certainly
consider changing. Especially since libreswan is being very actively
developed.

* The main idea of SWE3.1 is to be SWE3.0 on the surface, but be greatly
modernized underneath. SWE3.0 was built with GCC3.5, glibc 2.3.2, binutils
v2.17.20070103cvs, iptables v1.4.4. The kernel was recently changed from
2.6.16 to 2.6.32, and openswan was also bumped to 2.6.33. It's taken me four
years to modernize the foundation (linux/gcc/glibc/binutils/iptables, enhanced
build system); if I don't limit the changes, it'll never be released. Having
learned as I went, I wouldn't be surprised if I blundered with setting the
ARCH, building glibc/binutils/gcc, or configuring the kernel. Some of that
stuff is akin to black magic.