[Openswan Users] Pushing routes to clients

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri May 4 12:29:08 EDT 2012

On 12-05-04 07:01 AM, 5dxnea3pw8 at snkmail.com wrote:
> Hi,

> Pushing the routes from the xl2tpd or ppp on a per connection basis would be much more manageable.

Indeed.  But alas, AFAIU, the PPP protocol is incapable of transmitting
routes.

> Is this possible or ever likely to be possible ?

I think I have seen it done with/by Mac OS/X using DHCPINFORM over the
established link.  That is, once the VPN link comes up, the client sends
a DHCPINFORM to (where, I don't recall.  The remote gateway address
probably?) the remote side and gets a DHCP response with the routes in it.

I tried to replicate this feature on a Linux client but limitations in
the ISC dhclient and where/how it can send DHCPINFORM requests made this
unworkable, sadly.  It is indeed a nice feature.

b.