[Openswan Users] VPN works but getting errors

Jeremy Schaeffer service at phonesplus.biz
Thu May 3 08:41:33 EDT 2012

Yes, that is true. One connection I am having issues trying to get it
up. Due to the internet carrier I have to run it behind a nat and it
looks like it does not have ipsec passthrew turned on and I have not
gotten to looking over the carrier's router to see how to turn that on.
The other connection works fine, but I keep getting those lines in the
syslog.

The other connection that does not work gives this error:

May  2 08:19:21 services pluto[23699]: ERROR: asynchronous network error
report on eth2 (sport=500) for message to x.x.x.x port 500, complainant
x.x.x.x: Connection refused [errno 111, origin ICMP type 3 code 3 (not
authenticated)]

My ipsec.conf is:

config setup
myid=@{removed}
     interfaces=%defaultroute
     nat_traversal=yes
     oe=off
     protostack=netkey
     virtual_private=%v4:172.29.0.0/16
     syslog=syslog.debug

conn VOIP-VPN
     auth=esp
     authby=secret
     auto=add
     ike=3des-md5;modp2048
     left=69.128.165.227
leftid=@{removed}
     leftnexthop=69.128.165.225
     leftsourceip=172.28.130.1
     leftsubnet=172.28.130.1/24
     pfs=yes
     phase2alg=3des-md5;modp2048
     right=%any
     rightnexthop=%direct
     rightsubnet=vhost:%priv,%no

The end points are:
Engenius EVR100 (this one works but is getting the errors in the syslog)
Netgear FVS318G (this one is behind a nat and not working)

- Jeremy