[Openswan Users] how to enable klips on CentOS 6.2 w/ custom kernel 3.2

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Apr 19 18:24:25 EDT 2012

On Thursday 19 April 2012 12:19:47 Alex Crow wrote:
> On 19/04/12 17:13, Ray at truedays.org wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recompiled my CentOS 6.2 kernel to a newer 3.2.14, but I'm still
> > missing how I can enable the KLIPS support. Can someone point me in
> > the right direction?

> Ray,
>
> Compile Openswan from source - read the INSTALL file, it tells you how
> to build the KLIPS modules.

To clarify a little, when building OpenSWAN (OS) from source, you can also
build the KLIPS module out-of-kernel (that is, you build the KLIPS module
stand-alone). You execute four make commands:
  1. 'make programs' to build OS
  2. 'make module' to build KLIPS
  3. 'make install' to install OS
  4. 'make minstall' to install the KLIPS module.
Last I looked, this wasn't stated as clearly as it could be in the docs--it
was easy to overlook the fact that OS now builds the KLIPS module itself. It
was only after I stumbled on the clue in a google search that the doc made
sense.

I believe the KLIPS module is completely separate from any IPSEC stuff built
with the kernel--it can be used without building any IPSEC support into the
kernel. But I'm not certain of this point; someone more familiar with this
particular bit will correct me.