[Openswan Users] [Ocf-linux-users] IPSec L2tpv3 throughput low using Netkey kernel stack

Vasanth Ragavendran ragavendrapec at gmail.com
Mon May 23 04:46:34 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Kim Phillips
<kim.phillips at freescale.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 19 May 2011 20:18:40 -0700
> Vasanth Ragavendran <ragavendrapec at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM, David McCullough <
> > david_mccullough at mcafee.com> wrote:
> > > Jivin Paul Wouters lays it down ...

> > As Kim had mentioned I had loaded the CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_TALITOS as a
> module
> > with the module in the kernel i am getting a lower throughput! I am
> getting
> > only 13.4Mbps however without the module inserted i get 14.7Mbps how
> could
> > this be possible and the results sounds really ridiculous to me! And when
> > the CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_TALITOS is loaded i am able to view it using grep
> > talitos /proc/interrupts. so the hardware accelerator is getting used
> > however resulting in a lower throughput! That's absurd am I missing
> > something here?
>
> Is this a *vanilla* kernel CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_TALITOS driver, or is
> it from the freescale BSP?  If the latter, please forward your
> inquiry to the standard freescale BSP support channels.
>
> No this is the vanilla kernel's and not from the freescale.

> Otherwise (vanilla kernel), sounds like too little crypto
> payload and/or rate - so little that sending it to the accelerator
> and waiting for results takes longer than s/w crypto on the core.
> Can you benchmark using the 'null' cipher algorithm to make sure
> this is the case?

Will check on the 'null' cipher part. But why is the thruput lower when
using Klips, ocf and cryptodev and the rest of the settings being the same i
achieve only around 11Mbps. Thank u so much and sorry for the late reply.

--
Thanks and Regards
R.Vasanth Ragavendran