[Openswan Users] [Ocf-linux-users] IPSec L2tpv3 throughput low using Netkey kernel stack

Kim Phillips kim.phillips at freescale.com
Fri May 20 00:20:30 EDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011 20:18:40 -0700
Vasanth Ragavendran <ragavendrapec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM, David McCullough <
> david_mccullough at mcafee.com> wrote:
> > Jivin Paul Wouters lays it down ...

> As Kim had mentioned I had loaded the CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_TALITOS as a module
> with the module in the kernel i am getting a lower throughput! I am getting
> only 13.4Mbps however without the module inserted i get 14.7Mbps how could
> this be possible and the results sounds really ridiculous to me! And when
> the CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_TALITOS is loaded i am able to view it using grep
> talitos /proc/interrupts. so the hardware accelerator is getting used
> however resulting in a lower throughput! That's absurd am I missing
> something here?

Is this a *vanilla* kernel CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_TALITOS driver, or is
it from the freescale BSP?  If the latter, please forward your
inquiry to the standard freescale BSP support channels.

Otherwise (vanilla kernel), sounds like too little crypto
payload and/or rate - so little that sending it to the accelerator
and waiting for results takes longer than s/w crypto on the core.
Can you benchmark using the 'null' cipher algorithm to make sure
this is the case?

Kim