[Openswan Users] "cannot install eroute" occurs for Mac OSX users behind same NAT (v2.6.33)

Richard Schmidt huntingtonsurfca at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:23:54 EDT 2011

Reinstalled v2.6.32. As I thought: Mac OSX users can connect from behind the same NAT using NETKEY.

I'm going to have to go with my previous assumption that ignoring the right subnet with the workaround prevents distinguishing connections from the same IP ("eroute in use").

The workaround solved my previous problem of reconnecting clients after the tunnel shutdown several hours ago (like 12-24 hours); getting the xl2tpd error "attempting to reuse tunnel". My pluto logs were looking exactly like the ones mentioned with the workaround so I didn't look further into it, but I can recreate the problem if that would help to have a log of my previous (v32 and lower) problem.

As it is though, v2.6.33's Mac OSX workaround works well as long as you only have one user on the IP at a time. Concurrent users are a no-go.

Is there anything I can do to give some better information about either problem? This started as an OSX peculiarity didn't it? Maybe there's a bug filed with them that I can track down.

Richard Schmidt