[Openswan Users] "cannot install eroute" occurs for Mac OSX users behind same NAT (v2.6.33)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue May 17 16:41:30 EDT 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011, Richard Schmidt wrote:

> I think when the OSX workaround was applied (in .33 I believe), it broke functionality for multiple Mac OSX users behind NAT.

Could you confirm that with a test? My guess would be the two events are not related,
but we use KLIPS and SAref to handle the multiple NAT cases as shown in
http://www.openswan.org/docs/ipsecsaref.png

> I've provided a transcript of the pluto log. Perhaps you can shed some light on how to fix this? I think SAref tracking was mentioned in an ancient email involving eroute, except I wouldn't know how to go about doing that for road-warriors on cellular data networks.

You would need to run an SAref patched kernel with a regular KLIPS module, and use
protostack=mast in config setup and overlapip=yes in the l2tp connection definition.

We do provide some binaries for ubuntu based kernel with SAref and for rhel6beta kernels
(rhel5 /centos5 kernels are based on 2.6.18 and not supported with the SAref patch, though
it should work fine for the elrepo.org 2.6.38 based rhel5/centos5 kernels)

I thought (but I could be wrong!) that NETKEY did handle the two clients behind the same
NAT correctly, but not the two client on same internal IP behind different NAT routers.