[Openswan Users] xl2tpd stops processing connect/disconnect requests if host is unreachable

Will Roberts ironwill42 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 17:03:59 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to monitor the status of my VPNs on my servers. I've got a nagios
task that initiates an ipsec connection, the L2TP connection on top, issues
a wget command over the interface that is created (to verify that it's being
routed), then tears everything back down. This happens once every 5 minutes
for each host (12) from a central machine. If a host goes down it seems like
xl2tpd doesn't properly handle that case and hangs trying to connect to that
host. The script I run is http://www.bws42.com/zztmp/vpn_check.sh and would
be called with "prague".

This doesn't seem to always happen, but it does happen fairly frequently
when a host becomes unreachable.

Snippet from the log:

May  3 07:41:56 monitor xl2tpd[3843]: Connecting to host
prague.wonderproxy.com, port 1701
May  3 16:32:21 monitor xl2tpd[3843]: udp_xmit failed with
err=-1:Interrupted system call should be restarted

Versions on checker:
openswan: 2.6.28+dfsg-3
xl2tpd: 1.2.7+dfsg-1

Versions on machines hosting VPNs:
openswan: 2.6.24
xl2tpd: 1.2.7+dfsg-1

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there anything in my script that's
really silly?

Thanks,
--Will