[Openswan Users] Connect() hangs in xfrm kernel module when tunnel down

Gupta, Deepak (Deepak) deepak.dg.gupta at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Jan 24 09:54:31 EST 2011

Hello,

I am seeing an issue on an RHEL 5.4 kernel that causes a connect() to a NON-BLOCKING socket on the other end of the tunnel to hang for more than 30+ secs in the xfrm module in the kernel.  This happens when the tunnel goes down after being established.  Eventuall the connect() returns with an ESRCH (however note that pluto was running the entire time).

I see some threads on this topic from a while back, but I did not see any resolutions.  Is this a known issue in the kernel?  I have seen this occur on previous versions of RHEL (5.3 and 5.2) as well.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-Deepak