[Openswan Users] Problem configuring openswan

Assistenza RdCom support at rdcom.it
Thu Aug 18 08:22:50 EDT 2011

Hi I'm Paolo from Italy.
I try to configure a VPN to one client of mine. I use a Debian 6 server.
Here you are the details of my client's openswan configuration:

FIREWALL HOST INFORMATION / GW PEER
IP ADDRESS: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Firewall: OpenSwan Server

IKE PARAMETERS
Encryption Scheme: IKE
Encryption Algorithm: 3DES
Hashing Algorithm: SHA1
Diffie Helman Groups: 2
Renegotiate IKE SA every: 28800 secs
Renegotiate IPSEC SA every: 28800 secs

IPSEC PARAMETERS
Authentication Algorithm: ESP/SHA/HMAC-160
IP Security Protocol: ESP
Encapsulation Mode: Tunnel
Encryption Algorithm: 3DES
Data Integrity: SHA1

BACK-END IPS / NETWORK TO TRUST
Source: YY.YY.YY.YY/YY TCP/IP HTTP

I have changed

/etc/ipsec.conf

I have added

plutodebug="all"

for having more logs. And I write my connection:

conn vpn_test
        type=tunnel
        left=ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ
        leftid=mineid
        right=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
        rightsubnet=YY.YY.YY.YY/YY
        rightid=hisid
        auto=start
        ike=3des-sha1
        esp=3des-sha1
        keylife=8h

In

/etc/ipsec.secrets

I have added this line:

hisid mineid : PSK "secretkey"

Afther that, I run ipsec with thuis command:

ipsec setup --start

It gives me:

ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 2.6.28...
ipsec_setup: No KLIPS support found while requested, desperately falling back to netkey
ipsec_setup: NETKEY support found. Use protostack=netkey in /etc/ipsec.conf to avoid attempts to use KLIPS. Attempting to continue with NETKEY

Is it normal?
Afther that I write:

ipsec auto --up vpn_telecom

But this gives me nothing. The cursor is blocked and I see no echo on the screen.
What can I do wrong?
Please help me.

Paolo