[Openswan Users] xl2tpd fails to establish tunnel, received out of order packet on tunnel -1

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed May 19 20:57:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Will Roberts wrote:

> At this point I'd like to just get the machines connecting without
> bothering with the openswan part. Again is there any debug options I can
> enable to provide more output?

man xl2tpd.conf:

       debug avp
               Set this to yes to enable syslog output of  L2TP  AVP  debugging
               information.

        debug network
               Set  this  to  yes  to enable syslog output of network debugging
               information.

        debug packet
               Set this to yes to enable  printing  of  L2TP  packet  debugging
               information.   Note:  Output goes to STDOUT, so use this only in
               conjunction with the -D command line option.

        debug state
               Set this to yes to enable syslog output of FSM debugging  infor-
               mation.

        debug tunnel
               Set  this  to  yes  to  enable syslog output of tunnel debugging
               information.

On top of that you can add pppd debuging in /etc/ppp/options.xl2tpd.

You can also run xl2tpd -D but you might need to recompile it with lots of
-D options. See the Makefile.