[Openswan Users] automatic X509 certificate xchange

Antony Richards arichards at cybertec.com.au
Tue Mar 9 18:03:17 EST 2010

Hi,

On 03/10/2010 05:53 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, farajian amin wrote:
>

>> If openswan does request other side certificate , why we need to copy other side certificate to the /etc/ipsec.d/certs too.
>>
> You do not need to do that.
>

>> I have the following configuration on a client as a road-warrior:
>>

>> conn road-x509
>>         left=192.168.1.210
>>         right=%any
>>         type=tunnel
>>         leftcert=VPN2Cert.pem
>>         rightcert=VPN1Cert.pem
>>
> Assuming 192.168.1.210 is the gateway, you need right=%defaultroute, not right=%any
> You do not need the leftcert= line. I would add rightsendcert=always.

(Assuming left is the gateway).  If both certificates are signed by the
same Certificate Authority, I would remove *leftcert*, and add
*leftca=%same *(The documentation it says its on by default, but when
testing I found I needed it).

That way you only need to put VPN1Cert.pem on the host.

Likewise, for the gateway (below), remove *rightcert* and add
*rightca=%same*
*
*Regards,
Antony.