[Openswan Users] Trying to get Openswan working Ubuntu to Cisco ASA 5510

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Tue Mar 9 13:43:18 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 01:20:56PM -0500, Avesh Agarwal wrote:

> >No acceptable response to our first Quick Mode message: perhaps peer likes no proposal
> Exactly what it says that your cisco does not like the proposals
> sent by openswan end. Verify your cisco side settings (encryption
> lago, hash algo and DH groups) with the ones you set with openswan
> and see if there is any mismatch.

Thanks Avesh. I'm looking. But I can't see the mismatch yet. The Cisco (I'm
told) is set like this:

IPsec Phase I: pre-g2-3des-sha-86400s
IPsec Phase II: pfs2-esp-3des-sha-28800s

And my ipsec.conf looks like this:

version 2.0

config setup
     klipsdebug="none"
     plutodebug="all"
     uniqueids=yes
     protostack=netkey

conn cisco
     type=tunnel
     left=xx.xx.xx.114 # my IP
     leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
     leftnexthop=xx.xx.xx.97
     leftid=@<fqdn>
     right=yy.yy.yy.222 # IP address of Cisco ASA 5510
     rightsubnet=zz.zz.zz.192/26  # LAN behind Cisco
     rightid=yy.yy.yy.222
     keyingtries=0
     pfs=yes
     auto=add
     auth=esp
     esp=3DES-SHA1
     ike=3DES-SHA1
     authby=secret

The only thing that jumps at me is the possibility that "pfs2" at the Cisco
is not compatible with "pfs" at my end. Would that be the case? I see no
mention of pfs2 in the docs in the tar. But from a note elsewhere -
http://tristesse.org/OpenswanAnnoyances - it looks like Cisco's "pfs2" and
Openswan's "pfs" should be the same thing, right?

Another note in that same page suggests I may need nat_traversal=yes, but
that's not the fix as then I get:

003 "cisco" #1: NAT-Traversal: Result using draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-02/03: no NAT detected

with the same failure in the end.

Best,
Whit