[Openswan Users] openswan (klips): routing problems with Transport mode

Majid Khonji majid at khonji.org
Wed Jun 30 16:05:57 EDT 2010

Dear all,

MY goal is to run l2tp over IPsec, however, some packets from the xl2tpd
server are not appearing in ipsec0 interface (but corresponding esp are seen
in eth0).
I tried to simplify the expirement:

on the server I run: nc -l -u -p 9999
on a natted client i run: nc -u server_IP 9999

I tried these command on both tunnel & transport modes (some times I let the
client listen on port 9999). The problem is, when using transport mode,
ipsec0 is not showing everything, and therefore applications layer can't
exchange protocols consistently. Sometimes ping works but
this experiment shows inconsistency.

My network is like the following:

local server (10.0.0.xx) <====> NAT router (Public IP) <==> internet <====>
NAT router <===> Road warrior (mobile)

Many mobile clients use Transport mode, therefore I need this fixed up.

Please help me ASAP

Here is my ipsec.conf

version 2.0

config setup
        nat_traversal=yes
        virtual_private=%v4:
10.0.0.0/8,%v4:192.168.0.0/16,%v4:172.16.0.0/12,%v4:!10.0.0.0/24
        oe=off
        protostack=klips

conn %default
        type=tunnel