[Openswan Users] Openswan 2.6.26 and IPv6 issues

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jul 12 11:27:17 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 09:53 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Jason White wrote:
>
> > 1. On my Debian system, OpenSwan fails to bind to the IPv6 address
> > during the boot process. I reported this as a Debian bug. It turned out
> > not to be exclusively an OpenSwan problem, i.e., if I configured sshd to
> > bind to a particular IPv6 address, this would also fail.
> >
> > However, it was suggested in the Debian discussion that OpenSwan should
> > really detect new IPv6 addresses on an interface after start-up and
> > respond appropriately.

> I saw that bug report. pluto does need to get smarter in knowing when to look
> for new IP addresses bound on the machine. We are looking at implementing
> something for that. Perhaps something similar to bind's "scanning".

Yeah...  IPv6 addresses are subject to a number of conditions under
which they can change dynamically including auto-conf renumbering,
privacy enhanced EUI addresses, and dynamic cycling where processes on
the machine add and delete addresses.  Closest thing IPv4 has to that
would be if a dhcp server decided to change a lease after an old one
expired while the machine is running.

> > 2. This might not be an IPv6 issue: if I set ikev2=insist in the
> > configurations at both ends of a connection, the initiating host reaches
> > the I2 stage and then fails to receive a reply, resulting in
> > retransmissions that never lead to a completed negotiation.
>
> I have not heard of this before. Can you send a plutodebug=all of both
> sides and put it into a new bug at bugs.openswan.org ?
>
> Paul

Regards,
Mike