[Openswan Users] OpenSWAN server / VPNC client

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jan 25 13:03:41 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 12:54 -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Bobirnila Teodor wrote:
>
> > I've tried to configure OpenSWAN deployed on Ubuntu 9.10 as a VPN server that accepts connections from a
> > VPNC (IPsec-based) client (also running on Linux). The Client (vpnc) can only be configured through the
> > Network Manager. (it is meant to work for unexperienced users, like Windows users, that are familiar with
> > network connection wizards). My questions is, after trying all sorts of configurations for ipsec.conf and
> > ipsec.secrets if that is possible. If it is, can you please provide me a basic configuration for this
> > network setup (.conf and .secrets)?
> >
> > I have to mention that I can ONLY use vpnc as Client.

> I have no idea about vpnc. I thought it was a "cisco client"? It might be doing
> some weird things.

Yeah, that's the client for the Cisco ASA IPSec stuff.  Since it is
IPSec and IKE, if you're running it on a system, for one reason or
another like your office requires it for their VPN, then you can't run
OpenSWAN on the same machine due to conflicts with IKE and port 500/udp.
There's a client, vpnclient, actually from Cisco but all I hear about
that one is bad things.  The vpnc client is a re-implementation of the
Cisco client and has a plugin for NetworkManager vpns and such.

> If you tell me the options you've set in that client, I can tell you what options
> to set in openswan.

> Paul

Mike