[Openswan Users] [strongSwan] ERROR: netlink response for Add SA esp.383251e8 at 10.19.156.242 included errno 93: Protocol not supported

Martin Mokrejs mmokrejs at fold.natur.cuni.cz
Thu Dec 30 07:55:25 EST 2010

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
>
>> /usr/share/doc/openswan-2.6.32/html/kernel.html
>>
>> <quote>
>>                             IPv6
>>                                     [optional] FreeS/WAN does not
>> currently
>>                                     support IPv6, though work on
>> integrating
>>                                     FreeS/WAN with the Linux IPv6
>> stack has
>>                                     begun. Details.
>
> This is very old obsoleted information. As stated in the GOING-AWAY file in
> the doc directory:
>
> [paul at bofh doc]$ more GOING-AWAY This directory (and its contents) are
> being replaced slowly by
> that in the docs/ directory.
>
> I have renamed doc/ to doc.old.freeswan/

Why don't you rename to doc/KLIPS-IPv4-only/ ? If you do not want to update
the contents. What do you think package maintainers would do? They would
include the files anyway in the package and user will read them. Please
cleanup the files, delete what is not relevant to current, make some meaningful
hierarchy in the directory structure.

> Openswan works fine with IPv6 using NETKEY. If you want to use IPv6 with
> KLIPS,
> you should run the git version or wait for openswan 2.6.33, the next
> release.

I tried in the night to compile KLIPS against the 2.6.27.57 tree with no IPv6
configured and ended up with ipsec.ko and some kernel crashes afterwards.
Maybe I had to omit some IPsec stuff from the vanilla kernel? Will repeat that
and report in another thread, and lookup some current openswan docs how to
configure KLIPS (whatever that is). ;)

Martin