[Openswan Users] OpenSwan won't Encapsulate my Packets

Markus Ewald cygon at nuclex.org
Thu Dec 9 05:48:30 EST 2010

  One more step.

Short summary, my setup is

192.168.124.0/24===91.34.62.24[@my_id]...a.b.c.d[@their_id]===192.168.248.0/24

OpenSwan adds this route:

     Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
     192.168.248.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0
0        0 ppp0

Thus, "ping 192.168.248.1" uses ppp0, where, for some reason, OpenSwan
doesn't capture the packets.
But "ping -I eth0 192.168.248.1" does get the packet through to the
other end and my ping succeeds.

Conclusion: as far as I can tell the route added by OpenSwan is wrong.
Being new to all this, I probably got some setting wrong.
But how does OpenSwan decide which interface to capture packets on and
why does it not use the same interface for the route it adds?

-Markus-