[Openswan Users] OpenSwan + xl2tpd not working

Pete Mitchell Ghostryder at gmx.de
Wed Aug 18 08:10:02 EDT 2010

Hi,

a small status update (I think I'm quite close to the final solution :-/):

I've upgraded to openswan-2.6.28. I've successfully connected to the server from my iPhone using L2TP as VPN. However, the connection from a Windows XP SP3 machine using the internal VPN client still fails. The l2tpd is still not getting any requests. When using the iPhone I can nicely see how the xl2tpd responds to the requests but for the XP machine nothing at all happens.

The tunnel is established successfully as I'm getting the messages in /var/log/auth.log. But as I said xl2tpd is not fired up, for whatever reason.

I have tried so many things without any success, so I'm really hoping that anyone of you could HELP me!

Here's the most important configs:

cat /etc/ipsec.conf
# /etc/ipsec.conf - Openswan IPsec configuration file
config setup

        interfaces=%defaultroute
        nat_traversal=yes
        virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8,%v4:192.168.0.0/16,%v4:172.16.0.0/12
        oe=off
        protostack=netkey

include /etc/ipsec.d/l2tp-psk.conf

cat /etc/ipsec.d/l2tp-psk.conf
conn FIRST_TEST

        authby=secret
        pfs=no
        auto=add
        keyingtries=3
        rekey=no
        type=transport
        ike=aes128-sha-modp1536,aes128-sha-modp1024,aes128-md5-modp1536,aes128-m                                                                              d5-modp1024,3des-sha-modp1536,3des-sha-modp1024,3des-md5-modp1536,3des-md5-modp1                                                                              024
        esp=aes128-sha1,aes128-md5,3des-sha1,3des-md5
        left=%defaultroute
        leftnexthop=%defaultroute
        leftprotoport=udp/l2tp
        right=%any
        rightprotoport=udp/0
        rightnexthop=%defaultroute

cat /etc/xl2tpd.d/xl2tpd.conf
[global]
ipsec saref = yes
listen-addr = 192.168.0.22
port = 1701
debug avp = yes
debug network = yes
debug packet = yes
debug state = yes
debug tunnel = yes

[lns default]
ip range = 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.105
local ip = 192.168.0.99
;require chap = yes
;refuse pap = yes
require authentication = yes
ppp debug = yes
pppoptfile= /etc/ppp/options.xl2tpd
length bit = yes

cat /etc/ppp/options.xl2tpd
# /etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
auth
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
mru 1280
mtu 1280
name l2tpd
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

The problem can't be related to the firewall as it is down on the VPN server machine, and the connection works fine from the iPhone...

Thanks for ANY support in advance!!!

Regards,
g.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------