[Openswan Users] OpenSwan + xl2tpd not working

Ghostryder at gmx.de Ghostryder at gmx.de
Thu Aug 5 05:09:20 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a VPN server using OpenSwan. For the configuration process I've used

http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/openswan-l2tp.html

The server is running an Ubuntu system with Kernel 2.6.32. I've used xl2tpd again as described in the link above. It is worth mentioning that the VPN server is behind a NAT device (DSL router).

I've tried to connect from a Windows XP client and it seems that the IPSec is running fine as I'm getting the message "STATE_QUICK_R2: IPsec SA established transport mode". However, xl2tpd is just doing nothing. I've started the service using "xl2tpd -D" and it tells me that it's listening on 192.168.0.22/1701 which is the IP address of the VPN server behind NAT, so all fine. But even if the XP client tries "officially" to connect there happens nothing... I've tried various things but I have no clue why there is no traffic... On the firewall of the NAT device the ports 500, 4500 and 1701 are forwarded to 192.168.0.22.

Has anyone got an idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!
Regards, hg