[Openswan Users] Multi-net access to a service behind vpn

sertys at estates.bg sertys at estates.bg
Mon Apr 19 06:44:18 EDT 2010

I have been experiencing a difficulty configuring my vpn setup of desire.
I have a service daemon, that is on an openswan enabled gate and clients
connecting to it. So far, so good - warriors connect and do receive data.
Now i want to implement a middle-link between them to go like this:

Client <---ipsec---> VPN Gate(running strongswan for a specific reason)
<----ipsec----> Service daemon

I think i have difficulties configuring the strongswan/openswan link as i
want it and specifically routing the packets to go over that link. It
would be easy if ipsec tunnels did appear as virtual devices or at least
appeared in the kernel routing table.

this is my connection definition:
conn commport1
    type=tunnel
    # Key exchange
    ike=aes256-sha1-modp1536
    # Data exchange
    esp=aes256-sha1
    authby=secret
    auto=start
    #auth=esp
    keyingtries=2
    #keyexchange=ike
    # Modeconfig setting
    #modecfgpull=yes
    pfs=no
    rekey=yes
    #salifetime=16h
    dpddelay=120
    dpdtimeout=140
    dpdaction=restart
    left=strong.ip                 # Local vitals
    leftsubnet=192.168.2.2/32      #
    leftid=%any
    leftnexthop=%defaultroute      # correct in many situations
    leftsourceip=192.168.2.2
    right=sec.ip                # Remote vitals
    rightsubnet=192.168.2.1/32       #
    rightid=%any        #
    rightnexthop=%defaultroute     # correct in many situations
    rightsourceip=192.168.2.1

(and reversed on the other side - sec and strong, sec is appropriately the
service daemon machine)
which has driven me up to the point that i create a tunnel between the 2
machines.
my roadwarriors on .strong are taking addresses from the 192.168.6.0/24
range and issuing requests(it's a ikev1 connection, no specific traffic
selectors) to 192.168.2.1(which is on sec).

But the syns just are not routed via the commport1 connection.
I guess i have to fiddle with the subnet and nexthop definitions, but i'm
seeking help here to avoid misconfigurations.