[Openswan Users] OpenSwan issue

Erich Titl erich.titl at think.ch
Wed Sep 16 10:47:44 EDT 2009

Jay Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>      How are you doing? I figured that is the issue. Have you ever used
> iptables with openswan,

Yes, but basically they have nothing to do with each other, except for
possibly blocking traffic. If you suspect the firewall being the
culprit, then look at the  firewall logs.

maybe you can give me a specific idea of what to
> do. When setting up OpenSwan, is there anything I need to setup on
> iptables or the iproute or anything? Let me know, this has been a major
> pain. Thanks!

Typically the tunnel routes should be set by OpenSwan itself. If you use
2.4 then you can sniff on the ipsec interface, for 2.6, using the kernel
implementation it is more difficult.

ipsec eroute should give you an idea which way the packets should go. It
also tells you if your tunnels are up.

cheers

Erich