[Openswan Users] IPSEC/Pluto terminating

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Sep 7 16:56:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, Warren Pountain wrote:

> Can you tell me how reliable OpenSwan is connected to a Cisco? I ask as
> the one of our Directors is showing concerns about it.

I estimate many thousands have done it before and are doing it right now.

> OpenSwan is U2.6.14/K2.6.18-128.7.1.e15.

Definately upgrade to 2.6.22 or 2.6.23dr3. You'll have to build from source,
but that is a simple "make programs install".

> I'm trying to do a core dump although I've never done one before and I'm
> getting the following error.

With 2.6.14 it is likely a fixed bug.

> gdb /usr/libexec/ipsec/Pluto

You'd have to enable core dumps in /etc/profile on rhel I believe, then run
with dump=/var/run/pluto if you use selinux. If you compiled from source,
you can do:

cd /root/openswan-2.6.23dr3/OBJ*/programs/pluto
gdb pluto
core /var/run/pluto/core.XXXX
bt full