[Openswan Users] DHCP/Any Traffic over an established VPN tunnel

Carlos Lopez the_spide21 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 16:02:41 EDT 2009

hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

> I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Perhaps you mean
> L2TP,
> which will give your laptop an IP address from a pool on
> the
> server side?

Yes, I'd like to do that, but only on a dlink or linksys router. I meant that Linksys or dlink device will be trying to do an authentication against the VPN server and get for example the second ip from the VPN server's range, let's say 172.17.0.2, the rest of the IPs will be assigned via DHCP (172.17.0.3-172.17.0.254) to ExternalUsers' Pcs.

>Using Openswan and Xl2tpd you can do that.

Well, I do not want to use Xl2tpd, at the moment.

> I am
> not sure about your talk of a "tunnel in a tunnel", but in
> principe you should be able to make as many "babushka's"
> as
> you want.

ExternaUsers's traffic (UDP/TCP) should be passed through the already opened tunnel (by the linksys or Dlink device) and get their IPs via DHCP, just like the corporate LAN's users.

I do not want ExternaUsers do any kind of VPN conectivity or authentication, they will just plug their PC's on the attached switch and the corporate DHCPD will give an IP to every PC. I think that the dlink or Linksys device will be working as a traffic bridge between corporate users/servers and ExternaUsers on the other side, correct me if I am wrong.

I'd like to achieve this kind of configuration because I would be able to have the control of user's IP's assingments and also include many other configuration via DHCP server just like ntp server and many mode. The same way I do on the corporate LAN.

Again, Thanks for help.

Carlos.