[Openswan Users] Pluto segfault on openswan-2.6.23

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Oct 5 16:38:46 EDT 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Giovani Moda wrote:

> In fact it was preventing core dumps, but even after I changed
> /etc/profiles to ulimit -c unlimited, I can't get a core dump for this
> crash.

That might require a restart of daemons that inherit the ulimit. Your
current shell prob also had it set. If you want to be safe, reboot.

> enabling core dumps. In fact, now I do get a core dump if I kill pluto
> process with kill -6, so I guess core dumps are allowed. But I can't get
> a core dump of the crash. Is there any other way? Can I attach gdb
> directly in pluto process?

Yes, you can attach to pluto as well, though I can't see why it would
crash but not core dump if kill -6 works.

cd openswan-2.6.23/OBJ*/programs/pluto
gdb -p PidOfPluto
cont

then crash it, and you should be in gdb for the "bt full" backtrace.