[Openswan Users] tunnel monitoring and alerting

richard witt imageek72 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 12:15:37 EDT 2009

What is everyone else using to alert when tunnels go down? We have
MANY site to site tunnels and it seems here lately that some of them
tend to drop for some reason and we are not alerted until the next
day. I was thinking about just using some kind of regex tool like SEC
to monitor the logs and then fire off an alert, but SNMP with nagios
or solarwinds would probably be a better solution if we could get
those to work.

We would also like the ability to monitor the tunnels for the amount
of traffic going across them. We are constantly having to "prove" that
the tunnels are working fine and that the "slowness" is actually the
applications that are going across the tunnels and their response
times. We currently use Cacti to monitor all of our
switches/routers/servers for this kind of information but i have not
see where we can monitor the tunnel traffic between sites. Any
suggestions/help would be appreciated.