[Openswan Users] Openswan locking all traffic

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue May 5 11:50:34 EDT 2009

On Sun, 3 May 2009, Philippe BONVIN - EDSI-Tech Sàrl wrote:

> When I run /etc/init.d/ipsec start I can see for 20 sec in /var/log/auth.log
> "vpn" #1: initiating Main Mode
> and right after
> "vpn" #1: ERROR: asynchronous network error report on eth0 (sport=500) for
> message to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 500, complainant yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy: No route to
> host [errno 113, origin ICMP type 3 code 1 (not authenticated)]

Looks like a remote endpoint is not reachable (though I cannot tell because you
butchered the IP addresses). It looks like left and right might be on the same
LAN? Then you might need to add type=%direct.

> and right after this line, all network connexions are locked. No ping answers,
> nothing.

Check if you have OE properly disabled (oe=no in config setup on openswan 2.6.x)
Run ipsec verify

> My ipsec.conf:

I don't see a config setup section?

> conn vpn
>    type=tunnel
>    authby=secret
>    keyexchange=ike
>    aggrmode=no
>    auto=start
>    pfs=yes
>    pfsgroup=modp1024
>    ikelifetime=3600s
>    esp=3des-sha1
>    ike=3des-sha1
>    keylife=28800s
>
>    # LOCAL
>    left=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
>    leftsubnet=10.0.200.0/24
>    leftid=mylocalserver
>    # REMOTE
>    right=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>    rightsubnet=10.10.10.0/24
>    rightnexthop=%defaultroute   # might be not necessary
>    rightid=myremoteNetGearFVX538

Empty lines are not allowed within a connection definition. This
should show up as an error parsing the logs?